For a mere 22 hours, I have been back amongst the ‘civilized’. My trucker-hat-shaded face to has been spotted around town, darting here and there, trying to make the most of the concrete jungle.
Before I happily return to my darling little cottage atop a hill.
For the past 2-1/2 weeks, I’ve been positively basking. I’ve been busy, granted, but it has been the kind of busy where a gal can still find the time to (have her husband) brew (her) an espresso in the morning. The kind of schedule that requires said lady to spend nearly two straight days cutting the grass and endless hours trimming cedar trees into magical shapes, but, somehow, she still finds time to shake up a cocktail at the end of it all, and to muscle her way through book upon book on her new e-reader.
Ohh, and the guitar?
Yeaahh. gettin’ there folks. Well, sort of. No no, (*supports self with a brisk pat on back*) I’m making progress. The intro to ‘More than Words‘? learned. boom.
My kitchen has also been seeing lots of action. Despite the horridly-hot temperatures, I’ve been turning on the oven and the stove like it’s its job. My job? Our job?
It’s been good. And fun.
Some of the culinary highlights from the past weeks:
- gin & grapefruit juice cocktails shaken with a (garden-picked) rosemary & rhubarb simple syrup
- multi-layered greek dip with homemade hummus
- warm, cheesy, black bean dip with corn and chipotles
- classic bruschetta on homemade ciabatta-crostinis with basil & oregano from our garden
- (garden) rhubarb cake
- homemade cured and smoked salmon
- shrimp po-boys(!)…ohh, how I miss our NOLA vacation.
- multi-layer peanut butter and vanilla ice cream cake with chocolate fudge and a giant chocolate chip cookie crust
- vegan veggie burgers (ever a highlight of my life)
and salads galore!
- asian coleslaw
- mexican bean salad
And THIS! this roasted beet, quinoa, & kale salad is ah-maze-ing: simple and so flavourful.
When scanning the ingredient list, the dressing for this salad seems as though it’ll be nothing particularly special, but it.is.divine. When the beets and the quinoa, the walnuts, and the kale all come together with this modest dressing, it is really something to write home about.
Maybe even worth an hour and a half long drive into the depths of ‘civility’ to restock on ingredients..
Roasted Beet, Quinoa, & Kale Salad
1 cup quinoa, prepared according to package directions
3 large roasted beets, peeled and roughly chopped
1/2 bunch kale, chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Combine quinoa, beets, kale, and walnuts in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the mustard, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper.
3. Pour over the quinoa mixture and toss to coat. Taste, adjust salt and pepper, as needed, and serve immediately or keep covered in the fridge until needed.
Adapted from Passports and Pancakes