My husband: “Wait. What?”
(as I tip the jar upside down and the tall, dark, and handsome cake deftly changes into ‘something more comfortable’ before taking its rightful spot on his anxiously-awaiting dessert plate)
“Did you bake it in a water bath or something?”
I’ll tell you what’s awesome. The fact that my husband knows what a water bath is.
And the fact that he critically thought about the vessel in which I baked our adorable little his & her cakes; concluding that they were candidates for said water bath.
He was wrong, but he’s awesome.
And so are these healthy, individual, chocolate-coffee zucchini cakes.
Vegan, whole-wheat, and stuffed with grated zucchini, these cakes are slightly sweet, incredibly moist, and totally delish.
You know what else is awesome? Watching my adorable hubby eat an adorable, healthy, cake.
Husband: ”…I’d say that they are the best healthy cakes you’ve ever made.”
Individual Chocolate-Coffee Zucchini Cakes
Adapted from The Sweet Life
2 Tbsp organic extra virgin coconut oil
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp instant coffee
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two small mason jars.
2. In a medium sized bowl, combine the oil, brown sugar, molasses, flax egg, vanilla, and instant coffee. Stir in the zucchini.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients only until just combined. The batter may seem a bit dry, but the zucchini will add lots of moisture as it bakes. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Divide the batter between the greased jars. Bake on a baking sheet for 20-30 minutes. The baking time will depend on the width of your chosen baking vessels. Mine were skinny and tall and, thus, took longer to bake than a short and stout jar would’ve. Check for doneness with the toothpick method and remove from oven when baked.
6. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before removing them from their jars.