You know those days where you vow that you’re just not going to eat dessert?
You spend your day being the perfect little angel; workout, healthy meals, water…and then, WHAM!, 7:30 p.m. rolls around, and the little gent with the pointy red tail, lounging on your left-most shoulder, perks up and chimes in.
Like an ugly siren, your little goateed, red-suited, craving sings an annoying, yet somehow beautiful, little operetta about how lovely it would be to watch your favourite prime-time programming whilst cradling a sinfully-sweet treat. Unable to resist his melodic and common-sensical song, your once-strong willpower shamefully displays the cracks in its foundation.
So much for good intentions.
Well, on days like those (read: all days), this here dessert’ll swoop in like Superman.
It’s a magical combination of healthy and delicious ingredients that come together to create a sweet treat that can be nursed throughout Big Brother in its embarrassing entirety.
You’ll only have to feel guilty about one of your evening indulgences.
…and, thankfully, it won’t be your dessert.
Adapted from No Meat Athlete
4 oz semisweet chocolate
1 Tbsp virgin coconut oil
2 Tbsp cocoa
1/4 cup agave syrup, maple syrup, or honey (or any combination thereof)
2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of pink Himalayan sea salt
1/4 cup natural peanut butter (or other nut butter)
1. In a double-boiler, melt the chocolate with the coconut oil. Stir until smooth. Remove from the heat.
2. In a separate bowl, mash the avocado roughly with a fork or pastry cutter, then whisk to get the lumps out (use a food processor or powerful blender, if you’d like, but I preferred to save on dishes!).
3. Combine the melted chocolate with the smooth avocado.
4. Add the remaining ingredients except for the peanut butter. Use a spatula to force the mousse through a fine mesh strainer to get any last lumps out.
5. Stir in the peanut butter.
Makes four small, rich, servings. Top with sprinkles or fruit (or anything your heart desires) and dig in!