Typically, zucchini breads are laden with oil. Granted, they are delicious, but they are certainly far from nutritious. Now, I’m not going to pretend that this bread is actually good for you, but it’s definitely made slightly healthier than the traditional recipes. By replacing most of the oil with either yogurt, applesauce, and/or mashed banana, the bread remains moist without your needing to first place your slice on paper towel in order to soak up the, unnecessary, seeping oil and then wash your hands shortly thereafter consumption. Some of the white flour is replaced by whole wheat flour, adding fiber, and the amount of sugar is also slightly lessened.
With the addition of chocolate chips and a healthy amount of orange zest, this zucchini bread is brought into a new realm of tastiness.
I usually bake two, standard-sized, loaves, but this time, I baked one 9×5″ and two smaller ones.
You can’t really go wrong with this recipe, it’s keen to accommodate any of your own, genius, contributions, or to be baked as is. Give ‘er a whirl, you will be pleasantly surprised by it’s inherent fabulousness.
Chocolate Chip Orange Zucchini Bread
Adapted from allrecipes
2/3 cup white sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup yogurt, applesauce, mashed banana, or a combination thereof
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 Tbsp orange zest
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
- Sift together flours, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy.
- Add sugars, and continue beating until well blended. Stir in oil, yogurt (or applesauce or mashed banana), vanilla, zucchini, nuts, chocolate chips, and orange zest.
- Blend in sifted ingredients. Turn batter into two greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 minutes, or until bread tests done (mine usually takes about 60 minutes).
- Remove loaves from pans, and cool. Chill before slicing.